Re: White background in icons and WM integration

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: White background in icons and WM integration
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:32:57 +0000 (GMT)

> > > I agree.
> > > another thing that would be good is if gnustep gui set the icon
> > > properly so that you get an icon when you dock the app as well.

On my system, this works smoothly and perfectly.  I can dock gnustep
applications (the command line used is not with `openapp' though), and
they get the correct icon.  Double-clicking on them launches the
application, and the three dots go away when the app is running, and come
back when it quits.

I'm running gnustep from CVS and window maker _ well I'm not sure, a
version from CVS of some time ago _ I think it's something like 20 March
2001.

> > You will, if you dock the applications/icons to GWorkspace's Fiend.
>
> A GNUstep based dock is, I believe, the way we should go eventually.   The
> problem with integrating with Window Maker is due to the fact that it is not
> written using GNUstep/OPENSTEP and is, therefore, not aware of how to
> interface
> with GNUstep applications.

I'm not really sure why there is this false myth around that gnustep
applications don't talk well with window maker because window maker is not
written using gnustep _ frankly, I don't think this is the issue _ if they
don't talk well, that is likely to be some X machinery to fix.

They are mostly talking between themselves using X _ and unless you
rewrite the X Window server using GNUstep, I suppose that is not
particularly likely to change.