Re: GNUstep "open" tool

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep "open" tool
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:11:23 -0800 (PST)

I committed this to the repository.   The tool is called "gopen" and is in the
gui/Tools directory.  Just a few notes on it:

1) You must have installed the applications into the appropriate "well-known"
locations for this to work when opening a file.  When make_services scans all
of the applications it builds a plist called .GNUstepAppList in the
~/GNUstep/Services directory.

2) The application must declare which files it handles in it's
Info-gnustep.plist (under Resources in the app wrapper) file since this is what
make_services uses to build the file mentioned above.

I have tested this with Gorm.app, Ink.app and ImageViewer.app and it seems to
work very well.

Please let me know if there are any issues.

Thanks, GJC

--- Martin Brecher <martin@mb-itconsulting.com> wrote:
> Hi all, -
>
> As a suggestion: The GNUstep.sh script could create an alias "open"="gsopen"
> if no open command is located on the system; just for the user's sake.
> And on (I hope only few) systems where some open command is already present
> it could output that gsopen should be used because some other open command is
> already present.
>
> Greetings,
> Martin
>
> On 2001-11-18 13:19:08 +0200 Dan Pascu <dan@services.iiruc.ro> wrote:
>
> > On 17 Nov, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > > I have created a GNUstep version of the "open" tool.  I would like to
> commit
> > > it, but I am concerned about possible collisions with other tools on
> different
> > > distributions of Linux.  SuSE doesn't have a problem, since that's what
> I'm
> > > testing on.   Perhaps it should be called "gsopen" or something.
> >
> > on debian open is a symlink to openvt, though I don't know why is this
> > necessary. It's very likely that a common name like open will collide
> > with something on some systems.
> >

> > > I am making progress on NSOutlineView, I just thought this tool might be
> easy
> > > to write so I whipped it up real quick. ;)
> >
> > --
> > Dan

=====
Gregory John Casamento