Re: GNUstep "open" tool

From: Dan Pascu
Subject: Re: GNUstep "open" tool
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 08:33:27 +0200 (EET)

On 23 Nov, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> My plan is to make gopen a clone of the open command under OPENSTEP/MOSX.  I

>From what it seems one that satisfies both cannot be done, since
OPENSTEP has openapp/open which behave as you describe, while MOSX
merged both in open, and open behaves as the sent patch makes gopen
behave.

> Nonetheless, this is not how the "open" command on OPENSTEP/MOSX behaves.  If
> the user types:
>
> open XYZ.app
>
> and XYZ.app is not in the current directory then an error is issued.  If the
> user types:
>
> open -a XYZ.app
>
> *then* the app is searched for and started if it is in one of the "well-known"
> directories.

from what people using MOSX said, indeed on OPENSTEP doesn't search for
app, but it seems MOSX does search for the app first in current dir
then in system/local/... even without -a. And it should be, because
MOSX does no longer have openapp, just open to do both tasks.

>> Anyway, I think the patch doesn't affect behavior for openapp/gopen for
>> people used with the old way, just adds an extra useful feature.
>
> If the everyone wants this functionaliy, I'll add the patch in.

I think that as long as you don't break compatibility, just make it a
bit more useful and easier to use it ok.

--
Dan