Re[2]: core archive corrupted

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: core archive corrupted
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:28:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Gregory,

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:20:21 -0700 (PDT) Gregory Casamento
<greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

 >| I downloaded the same archive from www.peanuts.org and it worked!  :)  The
 >| md5sum is:
 >|
 >| 75505a82b1d8152415628d913f2ca3c8  /home/heron/Archives/core.20010807.tar.bz2
 >|
 >| which matches the one from Manuel.  I tried ftp.gnustep.org a couple of
 >times
 >| and had the problem described below, except w/ the md5sum of:
 >|
 >| 6815f2d0378a43210bf12b5ebb38f757
 >|
 >| The md5sum on previous downloads was different each time.  The method used
 >for
 >| download in all cases was binary.  This result seems to support the theory I
 >| put forward below, since the route my machine takes to www.peanuts.org is
 >| entirely different from the one taken to ftp.gnustep.org and I assume that
 >the
 >| file on peanuts is mirrored from gnustep.org.   There isn't anything wrong
 >w/
 >| gnustep.org or the archive since people at other locations (like europe) are
 >| able to download the archive from there just fine. There isn't anything
 >wrong
 >| w/ my box since I tried it on at least two other boxes and got similar
 >results
 >| and since I successfully downloaded it from peanuts.
 >|
 >| Oh well..  I guess someone's server is munging packets along the route. :(
 >| Weird.  I thought I would post this to let anyone who has the same problem
 >know
 >| that the mirror sites, like peanuts.org, should be okay.

I've tried from different computers and networks (in France only) and get the
good md5sum.
It's very strange because as Tyson say, this would mean that there is no crc
control in FTP and that your packets
checksum are recomputed.
When you download the file, do you use (volontary or not) a proxy ?
The only  2 other things I see is a a compromission of the serveur by a hacker
with a special sense of humour or a bug
in proftpd last version.

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <mguesdon@oxymium.net>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998