Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:40:23 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 05:37 AM, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> > > As for me, what I really still miss in WindowMaker is the integration of
> > > gnustep app icons etc.  For example, it's a pity I can't yet dock gnustep
> > > apps.  I know this sounds a little childish - but I really use the
> > > Finger.app to ping/traceroute remote hosts <that's why I wrote it> - and
> > > it's a pity I can't dock it into the WM dock.
> >
> > +1 to this again :-)
> > Actually I think modifying GNUstep gui to support WMaker appicon is
> > easier than modifying WMaker to support GNUstep appicon. But I
> > am not sure :-)
>
> Hacking GS to use the WindowMaker appicon mechanism is shortsighted.   It
> presumes that the *only* dock we will ever use is the one w/ WindowMaker.
> I,
> personally, do not like the idea of having the dock tied to the window
> manager
> since the window manager should do exactly one thing: manage windows.

I think that the Window Maker icon/appicon code needs to be modified to support
GNUstep - but it may already be in a form that will work ( I haven't looked at
the code for some months now).
Most window managers simply don't support the functionality we would like for
GNUstep miniwindows and appicons ... essentially, we want to be able to draw
into,
receive events from, and move appicons and miniwindows, so we can use them like
normal
windows.
In practice, we are likely to get full functionality only from a GNUstep dock
application,
and the Window Maker dock (once we have the proper integration code written).
For all
other window managers, we will just have to fall back upon basic functionality.