Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:32:26 +0000

On Sunday, January 7, 2001, at 02:58 AM, Dan Pascu wrote:

> On  6 Jan, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> >> The argument that one can disable a lot of functions (clip,
> >> dock etc.) is a no-go to me, since the default RPMs found and used in most
> >> distros are not
> >> compiled like that and never will be.
> >
> > Should be easy enough to make them runtime rather than compile time options
> > and have
> > them automatically de-activated on systems where GNUstep equivalents are
> > available.
>
> Actually they are already. You can either disable them at compile time,
> and you never see them again, or enable/disable them at run time if
> they were not disabled at compile time.
>
> P.S. I wonder why people do criticize and express so confident opinions
> about things they never checked and don't know how they work exactly?

I wasn't aware that WindowMaker automatically detected the presence of GNUstep
dock etc and reconfigured itsself accordingly (I'm not even sure that there
exist appropriate apps for it to detect).

I'm also pretty sure it doesn't currently offer runtime configuration for all
the
things Philippe might want to change.

The challenge is to build up a list of features that need to be enabled/disabled
and specify a mechanism whereby this can be done automatically.  Coming up with
good design for this is non-trivial.