Re: Some thoughts about GS

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 02:53:01 +0100 (CET)

> About the barrier of Objective C.

Objective C `looks like' a barrier to new developers - but in reality it's
a very feeble barrier, for two reasons:

* Objc is much easier to learn than C++ for a C programmer;

* Objc is very similar to Java, which is a very popular language.

Some marketing effort should perhaps be spent in trying to lower this
objc-fear ?

> As much as I like Objective C (and I
> like it a lot!) I have to agree with those who do not like to be forced to
> use one language or another. After all, I hate being forced to use Java. It
> would be nice if GNUstep could attain some kind of language neutrality, or
> offer bindings for Java, Smalltalk, LISP, Python... Something like the
> promises made by .NET / C# .

gnustep already offers a guile interface and a java one.