Re: Some thoughts about GS

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about GS
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:34:55 +0100

A while ago I wrote:

> I think that GNUstep could pick up what Apple let down:
cross-platform
> development. I'm definitely not a fan of Windows, but the
possibility of
> recompiling your apps on Windows (and have them look like Windows
apps)
> could be a "killer feature", something likely to attract developers.

I haven't seen much feedback on this one, except that it was now
possible to build Gnome and KDE Windows applications. Doesn't this
make it even more important?

> About the barrier of Objective C. As much as I like Objective C
(and I
> like it a lot!) I have to agree with those who do not like to be
forced to
> use one language or another. After all, I hate being forced to use
Java. It
> would be nice if GNUstep could attain some kind of language
neutrality, or
> offer bindings for Java, Smalltalk, LISP, Python... Something like
the
> promises made by .NET / C# .

Of course there were many answers about the merits of Objective C (I
don't have to be convinced). I also almost agree with those who say,
in essence: "screw them if they're too dumb to try something
different". But the question was: how to get a greater GNUSTEP
following among developers.

Many references were made to the fact that Guile, Smalltalk can be
used as some kind of scripting languages for GNUSTEP. That's nice,
but that's not exactly what I had in mind. Could I use a Smalltalk or
Java object as a NSBrowser delegate? I know this is probably way too
ambitious, a reminder our brief 'universal runtime' OREO encounter.

> Last, we could ask ourselves if some of the moves made by Apple
would not
> be appropriate for GNUstep as well. I'm thinking about
CoreFoundation and
> CoreGraphics and dropping DPS...

Yes, DPS is very nice. However, if having Mac OS X application
developers port their apps is a goal, I think it makes sense to be as
compatible as possible in that area.

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland         http://www.sente.ch