[Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Underrun with Wav File Source and USRP Sink

From: Tom Hendrick
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Underrun with Wav File Source and USRP Sink
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 13:21:24 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I am using a USRP1 and an LFTX daughtercard and Ubuntu 12.04.

I am having an issue with a simple GRC script I made which has three blocks.
A WAV file source connects to a resampler block and then to the UHD USRP sink.

When I run the script I get a single underun right at the start of running the script and no other underrun.
When I run the script using the sudo in front of it, I get two underruns right at the start of running the script and no other underrun.
I monitored the signal out of the LFTX using an oscilloscope and noticed some blips/noise when the script is run and I believe they correspond to the underruns.  I tried this with and without real-time scheduling enabled and didn't see any difference.

I tried the same exact type of script with an older version of GRC on a different laptop with Ubuntu 10.04.  This uses the USRP sink block not the UHD sink block.  This script plays the file perfectly without any underruns at all and I don't see the blips/noise at the beginning of the signal.

I am using the LFTX for an audio application and the blips/noise will cause a problem for me.  Does anyone know why I am seeing this behavior with the newer UHD block?  Is there anything I can do to eliminate it?

Many thanks, -Tom