Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 10:23:45 -0400

> Cool! It would be truly great to see a simplified example of this in
> the GnuRadio repository, and at least somehow mentioned on the wiki.
Yes, I suppose it would.  I'll put it on my list, but so many other
things to do :-(

>> The other "trick" that I use is to use the XMLRPC server stuff that Josh put
>> in GRC--it allows you to set flowgraph variables from an
>>  outside program, which is really great!
>>
> Hum. Any examples?
>
> I also wonder - have you quantified overhead of those methods - in
> latency, jitter, memory, etc?

Well, in terms of the FIFO I/O, they're pretty-darned efficient in
Linux, at least as efficient as disk I/O,
  although since FIFOs (named pipes) are implemented in kernel memory,
they're typically a lot
  faster.

I've never needed the XMLRPC stuff to "go real fast", since I typically
use it to modify flow-graph
  parameters that change infrequently.  One of the things I use it for
in one of my applications that I
  did for a customer is for active RFI excision for a science
application.  The flow-graph produces
  a spectral estimate which is sent over a FIFO to an external program
that analyses the spectrum, and
  then, if necessary, sends back parameters for a multi-notch filter
into the flow-graph.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium