Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:10:00 -0400

On 26/05/2011 9:55 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:

It would be great if you could share with the list example code snippets of how
you do the pipes.  For example: Where in an online repository one can find such
code.

I think that's what Jeff was getting at: that "we" are providing IANAL advice rather than
code examples.  I, for one, have never actually tried the pipes -- I've just heard that they are
possible and that using them does not form a "greater work" in the GPL sense. - MLD

Actually, my SIDSuite code uses this a little bit, in that data recording is handled outside of Gnu Radio. The basic idea is that there's a shell script that sets up the environment (creates the FIFO files, starts the external programs in the background, etc), then the Gnu Radio flow-graph is called. The flow-graphs just use "File Source" and "File Sink" with buffering turned off--as far as Gnu Radio is concerned, it's writing to a file, but in fact, it's a FIFO file or "named pipe".

See:

http://www.sbrac.org/files/sidsuite.tar.gz

It doesn't do it as much as other code that I've written, but it gives one a flavour for how the pipes are used.

The other "trick" that I use is to use the XMLRPC server stuff that Josh put in GRC--it allows you to set flowgraph variables from an
  outside program, which is really great!