[Discuss-gnuradio] How can we make GNU Radio better?

From: Philip Balister
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can we make GNU Radio better?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 15:23:21 -0400

Rather than flog the topic of what is wrong with GNU Radio, I'd prefer to emphasize that it is only as good as we make it. So how can we make it better. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Expand the pool of people contributing code.

2) Improve the grc help files and parameter descriptions.

3) Divide the code base in to true core functions, signal processing libraries, and applications.

4) Use cmake instead of autotools. (Not my first choice, but may help the windows people)

I'm not certain what the way forward is. How can you help make GNU Radio better?

The license thing can turn into a tar pit and flame war very easily, and that draws peoples focus away from these core issues. Before spending much bandwidth on the license issue, we should find out what options are available since all the code has the copyright assigned to the FSF.

Philip