Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is disappointing [was: Greeting and a qu

From: Sanjay Singh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio is disappointing [was: Greeting and a question]
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 01:14:51 +0530

Hi Marcus,

I believe you are a good technical starter than to talk about market.
If you are to talk about $20 ADC/DAC i would rather disassociate from your discussion.

If you would bet on million dollar to donate to GnuRadio, then i will prove about the pricing you are talking about.

S--

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/20/2011 09:35 PM, Sanjay Singh wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Regarding your queries
>
>   o Interface with whatever RF hardware is developed above
>   o Do the required DDC and CIC Decimation, and whatever else *this
> specific application requires*.
>   o Send data over the host-interface, *in the required formats, using
> the required protocols*
>
> All these comes as part of the demo. Check for Xilinx DSP kits.  I
> need not have to say anything. Board demos should say everything to you.

Yes, you are correct that the Xilinx DSP kit includes various DSP-type
"IP" as part of the demo
 package, but unless I'm badly mis-reading things, the cheapest such
"kit" is $1,995 from Avnet,
 and that doesnt include an ADC or DAC board.

The SP601, which is their cheapest FPGA evaluation and demo offering,
doesn't include
 much "IP" except for basic logic functions.  This board sells for
$249.00 through Avnet.

Xilinx doesn't give their IP away for free.    So if you want to use
*their* IP, you have to license
 it, and pay for it, which drives up the cost to fairly-high levels.

I'm perfectly happy to be shown I'm wrong, with *specific, concrete*
examples.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium