Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio and CUDA reprised

From: Douglas Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio and CUDA reprised
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:51:53 -0500

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wanted to throw out another idea that no one seems to be bringing
> up, and this relates to a comment back about how CUDA is limited
> because of the bus transfers. That's not CUDA that is doing that but
> the architecture of the machine and having the host (CPU) and device
> (GPU) separated on a bus. That has nothing to do with CUDA as a
> language.

I think the notion that the language is not the barrier (the hardware
architecture is) is precisely why I personally am more excited about
OpenCL as a language than CUDA per-se. CUDA is inherently tied to
nVidia hardware, and while is conceivable that CUDA will end up being
supported on a wider variety of CPU/GPU architectures (e.g. the
recently announced 'Project Denver'), I don't imagine it will ever
find support on non-nVidia hardware. OpenCL is, on the other hand,
enjoying support from a wide variety of hardware vendors (AMD/ATI,
nVidia, IBM, Intel, Apple, etc.), and was designed to run on a wide
variety of architectures (including a mix of CPU's, GPU's,
accelerator/DSP boards, etc.). In the long run it seems to me to be a
much better environment for dealing with heterogeneous computing, and
without bringing up any serious concerns about being tied to any
single vendor.

> Currently, though, GPUs still have a place for certain applications,
> even in signal processing and radio. They are not a panacea for
> improving the performance of all signal processing applications, but
> if you understand the limitations and where they benefit you, you can
> get some really good gains out of them. I'm excited about anyone
> researching and experimenting in this area and very hopeful for the
> future use of any knowledge and expertise we can generate now.
>
> Tom

Agreed. Having spent some time on working with OpenCL on GPU's for
solving a different sort of problem, I completely agree they are both
powerful, and not a silver bullet.
I would like to echo some of the previous comments: replacing single
processing blocks in a flowgraph with a drop-in CUDA/OpenCL
replacement is not likely to lead to any significant gains. It may
relieve some of the work the CPU has to do (and thus be a net gain in
terms of total samples that can be processed without dropping any on
the floor), but I suspect Steve is correct: the big gains will be made
in either applications requiring large filtering/channelizers/etc. or
with complete RX and/or TX chains written in OpenCL, and GNURadio
merely acting as a shuttle from the USRPx/UHD-enabled source/sink and
the smaller trickle of bits coming back out (or going in). If that is
the case, I think the follow-on question becomes: does GNURadio need
to do anything to support OpenCL/CUDA/etc. enabled applications, or is
everyone that is doing that sort of work simply writing their own
custom block to interface with their custom OpenCL/CUDA/etc. kernel,
since they are likely going to have to do all sorts of nasty
optimization tricks to get the best performance for their particular
application anyways? Or can a common block serve as a generic
interface, which loads whatever custom kernel needs to be written, and
works well enough in 90% of the cases? I'd like to think the latter is
true, but I don't have any evidence as of yet that it might be.
Perhaps at a later date I'll have something to share that points in
one direction or the other.
 Doug

--
Doug Geiger