[Discuss-gnuradio] 192KHz sound card experience: WWVB, etc

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] 192KHz sound card experience: WWVB, etc
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:10:48 -0500

I finally installed a M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound-card on my F14 system today, further to my efforts to make a WWVB (and DCF77 and any other time station that uses broadly-similar mechanisms) receiver based on little more than a high-rate sound-card, pre-amp, and loop antenna (and of course, Gnu Radio).

I have a similar set-up for doing SID detection on VLF, using an external 96KHz USB sound-card--a Creative X-Fi USB.

What I've found is that the M-Audio internal 192KHz card has a roughly 10dB higher noise floor (or put another way,
  a 10dB poorer SNR) than the external sound sysem.

The M-Audio Audiophile 192 uses a 24-bit ADC and can sample at 192KHz.

I ended up having to turn up the gain on my pre-amplifer, in order to compensate for the much-poorer noise performance on
  the Audiophile 192.

The way things are now, I can't "see" WWVB in the spectrum. I'll see how it is tonight, but it sure doesn't look to "be there". This is at least consistent with my LaCrosse WWVB-synchronized digital clock that I have, which has *never* been able to
  get a lock on WWVB the entire time I've lived in this house.

I may look into the SDR-Widget system (Thanks, Patrick Strasser!), since it boasts better performance than most other
  192KHz sound systems out there, and is tailored to narrowband SDR work.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator