Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 + WBX - Power measurement with different de

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 + WBX - Power measurement with different decimation rates
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:38:38 -0500

On 11/23/2010 07:17 AM, Vladutzzz wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am using an USRP2 module with a WBX daughterboard.
> I am currently interested in power level measurements, and have tried
> measuring band power with different decimations.
> I've noticed, that if I try to measure the same exact band using different
> decimation rates and their appropriate FIR filters, the results differ.
> Has anyone else come across this?
> Does anyone know why this happens?

Two things:

Different decimations may use one, two , or no half-band filters in the
decimator.  For decimations
  that are even and a multiple of 4, two half-bands are used.  For
decimations that are simply
  even, a single half-band is used, and for odd decimations, no half
bands are used.  Odd
  decimation is not recommended.

Also, total measured power is proportional to bandwidth.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium