Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPU Utilization and USRP2

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPU Utilization and USRP2
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:23:36 -0700

Well, there is extra overhead. A "pirate" thread in the the receive path spins on the socket and inspects the contents. The packet may be an asynchronous message packet for flow control or destined for the user. Or it may be a data packet, in which case it is placed into a queue to be popped off by the device::recv() call. No extra memcopies, its just managing pointers.

Could this pirate thread be removed? If the async messages came in over a different UDP port, and the multi-device buffer alignment logic was re-written to be event driven (when recv() is called). Then yes. And I will probably implement this when I get the time. :-)

So, my best guess is that you are mostly seeing the overhead of the thread inspecting the packets. Of course there is also additional overhead added by using UDP, parsing VRT packets, parsing inline message packets.

Thanks for testing it out BTW!
-Josh