[Discuss-gnuradio] CPU Utilization and USRP2

From: David Campbell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPU Utilization and USRP2
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 10:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
   I've noticed that the C++ interfaces provided in gnu-radio and UHD for usrp2
data streaming are CPU-intensive (UHD moreso than gnu-radio).  I am wondering
if
there are easy ways to mitigate this or are there plans in the future to
diminish these.  For UHD a decimate by 16 process chews up 75% of a CPU just on
the uhd::device::recv functiion (not much less even when I use
RECV_MODE_FULL_BUFF and size the buffer to be 100x the size of a single
packet).  For gnuradio's  the CPU utilization is more like 36% - still a lot.

  I may try to recode some of the lower-level interfaces in UHD if there is not
an easy way to help improve CPU utilization.

  Thanks for your help,
David