[Discuss-gnuradio] Piping output of, e.g., Audacity to GNURadio examples

From: Joel Koltner
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Piping output of, e.g., Audacity to GNURadio examples
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 16:37:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'd like to take the audio output of a piece of software such as Audacity, Rhythmbox, etc. and pipe it into GNURadio -- specifically some of the USRP examples for, e.g., FM output.  I've done a bit of Googling, and as far as I can tell doing this requires something similar to:

-- For GNURadio examples that are expecting to receive their input from a sound card, use the JACK plug-in for ALSA so that JACK's "virtual audio cable" between Audacity, etc. shows up as a "regular" audio card source to those example programs
-- If writing your own applications, GNURadio can use JACK directly via, e.g., gnuradio-audio-jack

Is that correct?  I'd like to get some feedback here before continuing to invest time into what might otherwise just be a wild goose chase.  I don't suppose there's a Wiki entry or Web page somewhere that goes through exactly how to do all this?

(And there isn't really an easy way to do what I'm asking directly with ALSA alone, is there?)

Thanks,
---Joel Koltner