Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need help with gr how to create a signal process

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need help with gr how to create a signal processing block template
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:58:04 -0400

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Nick.R <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am quite new to unix as well as GNU radio, but after practising with the
> different modules and reading alot about it in papers and tutorials I've
> been able to understand how to use some of its functions. Presently I am
> trying to make a block in GNU Radio Companion from a C shared library file
> generated from Matlab.
>
> I've been following the tutorial on how to create a signal processing block
> and I believe my files are ready, also I have edited most of the scripts as
> per requirements. However, when I try to do "make"/"sudo make" after
> ./bootstrap and ./configure, the compiler is unable to build because it
> cannot find one of the matlab libraries that are a dependency for my .h and
> .cc file. I've tried looking everywhere on forums for a solution but there
> is no information regarding this. The library files in question are the
> mclmcrrt.h and mclcppclass.h. Matlab used them to compile the shared library
> so the path I set for them in bashrc seems correct. When I do "locate" I can
> find the libraries as well.
>
> Following error is generated and then it says that all subsequent functions
> being used in the .cc file being not initialized and stops.
> In file included from ./howto_square_ff.h:26,
>                 from howto_square_ff.cc:32:
> ./libmyfunc.h:14:22: error: mclmcrrt.h: No such file or directory
> ./libmyfunc.h:15:25: error: mclcppclass.h: No such file or directory
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 - the Karmic Koala release
>
> Is there something specific that needs to be done for the "make" procedure
> to read these libraries ? Any help in this regard will be highly
> appreciated. This is my first time posting here, so I hope I was able to
> convey as much information as possibly regarding the problem.

You will have to edit the Makefile.am to add the source code directory
to include the two missing header files into the local make
environment. The simplest thing to do is to add this to "AM_CPPFLAGS"
in Makefile.am: "-I<dir>" where <dir> is the directory of the files.

This isn't the most elegant way to handle this, and if you are
planning on releasing this or using this code in a more
production-oriented fashion, we'll have to talk about M4 config files
and the such. But start here and see if it works.

Tom