[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: more gmsk issues

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: more gmsk issues
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:20:42 +0100

Brett Trotter wrote:
I switched to NFS for my testing and I can transfer about 600 KiB before it
stalls for a while, but NFS seems to be good enough at re-trying over cruddy
networks

Hello Brett!

You should be aware that you are using quite high level protocols when using SSH or NFS. You are moving in OSI Layer 5 (Session).
Layer 1 would be PHY, the radio part.
Layer 2 would be MAC, physical addressing, media access (timing, concurrent access).
Layer 3 would be IP, "logical" addressing, first error detection.
Layer 4 would be TCP/UDP, with subaddressing for both, retransmistion and congestion control with TCP.
Layer 5 finally is your SSH/NFS.

You see an error in layer 5, which leaves lots of possibilities for underlying errors or misconfigurations. In general TCP is quite capable of recovering from lots of errors, but it's busy with itself for this purpose, which leaves less capacity for its payload. IP does not correct errors, only detects (checksums). This leaves possible error correction to layer 2 and 1. In layer 2 we have a mixture of Ethernet and a back off algorithm, pretty like ethernet, but in Python code: the framing and thus addressing is done by the operating system, media access is handled by Python, using an exponential backoff when a carrier is sensed. Note: AFAICS check for successful transmission is done. On Ethernet you have Collision Detection, which leads to backoffs and retransmits. The current tunnel implementation seems to just listen for traffic that could jam the transmission before sending. As there is no reliable way to detect concurrent transmissions while sending (in contrast to wire bound Ethernet)[1] some kind of reservation like in WLAN or at least acknowledge would be desirable. Layer 1 finally uses whatever modulation you have available, without channel coding, like forward error correction (FEC) with convolution codes or Reed-Solomon code.

This is quite a stack of systems with lots of places for errors. I'd suggest to get some levels lower and analyse at MAC (L2) and network layer (L3, IP). IP has checksums, so errors are very likely to be reported by the IP stack in the kernel. Take a look at 'iptraf'. As presumingly 'ifconfig' and and 'netstat -i' show interface statistics, that is of the MAC, you probably want to take a look at the packets directly. As pointed out before, tcpdump get you the packets. I like wireshark, formerly ethereal, for analysing data, but it needs X, something that is not always accessible at test machines (especially remote machines). nevertheless tcpdump saves data in a format that is fine readable for wireshark. Take a look at the IP checksum under heavy load. You may want to check some timing statistics too see if collision has probably happened. TCP retransmits are a sign for connections that have gone haywire.

> Anyone have any thoughts on improving the stability?

FEC would be necessary, media reservation or at least acknowledging would be fine.
Perhaps CRC at data link layer (L2) would bring some light in.
Emulab should have the right setup to test these things.

Patrick

[1] ALOHA as predecessor of Ethernet and being a radio system used acknowledge messages and retransmits. See code at
http://typo3.cs.uni-paderborn.de/en/research-group/research-group-computer-networks/projects/gsr.html
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>