Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SWIG compilation speedup!

From: Berndt Josef Wulf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SWIG compilation speedup!
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:12:37 +1030

On Saturday 13 January 2007 15:05, Eric Blossom wrote:
> I've just checked code into the trunk that speeds up compilation of
> the swig generated code, as well as reducing the number of
> dependencies for each piece.
>
> -r4255 refactors gnuradio_swig_python.{cc,py} into 5 separate .so's
> These correspond to the runtime, general, filter and io directories,
> and also includes a new directory, gengen. gengen contains that part
> of general that was machine generated. This split is arbitrary, but
> was useful for getting size of the swig generated glue code for
> general down to about 2MB.
>
> In addition, the swig glue is now compiled with -g1 -O1 instead of
> -g -O2. With this change all the swig code now compiles in about 60%
> of the time that it used to take.
>

> Packagers, please note that there are now 5 SWIG generated .so's and
> .py's in gnuradio-core that replace the previous 1
> (gnuradio_swig_python.{so,py})

What are the issues with the compile time? This topic came up previously in
discussions which determined that documentation will nolonger be generated by
default due to build time.

I can't see the point for doing so. I don't care if its takes me 15 minutes or
30 minutes to compile all GNU Radio.

Compilation time saved will now be spend waiting for the download?

cheerio Berndt