[Discuss-gnuradio] Gain ahead of Basic RX?

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gain ahead of Basic RX?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:41:51 -0500

As mentioned earlier, I'm working on a front-end board for the Basic-RX
to provide some gain and selectivity for HF use.

Question -- has anyone figured out what sort of gain is optimum ahead of
the the Basic-RX for use as an HF receiver?  I can easily tweak the
front-end design to provide anything from about 8 to 18 dB gain; more
than that might require adding a second amp stage, which is doable if
necessary.

Thanks,

John