Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Cellular relay

From: David Young
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Cellular relay
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:47:26 -0500

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 04:54:35PM -0400, Aaditeshwar Seth wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is a follow-up on a mail I had sent out earlier to the list but
> didn't get a reply. I found something interesting that I thought of
> sharing with you guys. And it'll be great if you can tell me about some
> public CDMA SDR implementations, and whether the people on this list are
> thinking of doing anything about it in the future.
>
> Ok, so making this kind of a relay is indeed possible. And the kind of
> applications it opens up are quite interesting. Have a look at
> http://blizzard.cs.uwaterloo.ca/keshav/mediawiki-1.4.7/index.php/Recycling_a_billion_cell_phones
>
> which is my PhD supervisor's idea on reusing old cellphones. Now, when you
> have this kind of a low-bandwidth cellular relay, you can have all your old
> cellphones plugged in different rooms as security cameras (all cellphones
> have cameras already!), or for medical survelliance, or just to do some
> cool digital-home kind of stuff. So, it is indeed useful to have something
> like this. And to do it, here is a small email exchange I had with people
> working at a leading cellular provider.

Aaditeshwar,

It is a shame if I have to buy or build a basestation to get any use
out of old cell phones in my home, even if I can use a USRP and GNU
Radio to do it. :-) Are any cellular modes more symmetric than CDMA?
Is direct phone-to-phone communication possible, even without WiFi?

Do you know whether or not it is possible to get instructions for
re-programming the old phones?

Dave

address@hidden      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933