[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Cellular relay

From: Aaditeshwar Seth
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Cellular relay
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:54:35 -0400

Hi

This is a follow-up on a mail I had sent out earlier to the list but didn't get a reply. I found something interesting that I thought of sharing with you guys. And it'll be great if you can tell me about some public CDMA SDR implementations, and whether the people on this list are thinking of doing anything about it in the future.

Ok, so making this kind of a relay is indeed possible. And the kind of applications it opens up are quite interesting. Have a look at http://blizzard.cs.uwaterloo.ca/keshav/mediawiki-1.4.7/index.php/Recycling_a_billion_cell_phones which is my PhD supervisor's idea on reusing old cellphones. Now, when you have this kind of a low-bandwidth cellular relay, you can have all your old cellphones plugged in different rooms as security cameras (all cellphones have cameras already!), or for medical survelliance, or just to do some cool digital-home kind of stuff. So, it is indeed useful to have something like this. And to do it, here is a small email exchange I had with people working at a leading cellular provider.

Let me know if you know anything more about this, or you are interested in doing this, or anything.

Thanks!

Aaditeshwar.
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~a3seth

--------------

Adi,

I think that is possible between the mobiles within the same cell (accessing
the same base station). Right now neither the access channel nor the paging
channel SMSes are encrypted, as far as I know of. With the proper tools you
can monitor all the SMSes on the paging channel in a cell, which I think is
true for access channel too. However, we don't have the equipment (we need a
base station equivalent) to listen to the access channel.
Keep in mind that, right now the base station is very dumb, it does not do
any local processing rather than relaying the communication to the BSC or
the MSC. So the SMS communications today involves a message center and the
MSC. However, as you have mentioned, a thin software can be developed for
the base station to perform such a job.

Hui