Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] using ADC of a TV-card with CX2388x chip or digit

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] using ADC of a TV-card with CX2388x chip or digital TV-reception chips/cards
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:39:13 +0100

I have thought of a few tests which can be performed by people owning a cx2388x
TV-card.
These test should give us a clue if and how it can be used for continuous (RAW)
capturing.

I also added a few features to the hacked driver.

All can be found at:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/cx2388x/

The tests are described in:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/cx2388x/cx2388x_tests1.txt

The new driver insmod options are decribed in:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/cx2388x/cx8800_modinfo.txt

The most simple way to interpret the results is just to capture a TV-station
and see if and how much of the frames are visible in the output.

I hope somebody has the time to experiment with this.

Greetings,
Martin

hacked drivers for cx2388x tv capture cards.

If you build them you get a whole load of new insmod options.
You can see them using modinfo or by looking at the source (cx88-core.c,
cx88-video.c)
Most of the new options are just a way of forcing registers at a certain value.

For example we have the module option cap_raw_all
cap_raw_all,"A value of 1 enables continuous raw data mode capture."

This just sets bit 6 of Capture Control Register 24 h310180

By making all these registers user_settable it is easier to discuss and test different options without having to change the source and recompile all the time.

I first grabbed the latest video4linux sources and modified them only to find
out that they don't compile on my machine.
So I changed back to an older version of the cx2388x video4linux driver.
This one (cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack4.tar.gz) does compile on my machine.

cx2388x_tests1.txt
cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack4.tar.gz  This is the modified driver to use (compiles on
my machine)
cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack4.patch   The diff between  cx88-0.0.4-orig and
cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack3
cx88-0.0.4-orig.tar.gz        Unmodified cx2388x driver
cx8800_modinfo.txt            file describing the new insmod options
CX23883_datasheet.pdf         Datasheet of cx23880/1/2/3 describing all the
registers
old                           Directory with older versions (version for newer
kernel, but with typos,bugs and less features)

CX23883_datasheet.pdf         Datasheet of cx23880/1/2/3 describing all the
registers
cx2388x_tests1.txt            File describing capture tests which can be done by
                              people owning a cx2388x card to find out if and
how
                              we can enable continuous raw capturing

cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack4.patch   The diff between  cx88-0.0.4-orig and
cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack4
cx88-0.0.4-mdvh-hack4.tar.gz  This is the modified driver to use (compiles on
my machine)
cx88-0.0.4-orig.tar.gz        Unmodified cx2388x driver
cx8800_modinfo.txt            file describing the new insmod options
old/                          Directory with older versions (version for newer
kernel, but with typos,bugs and less features)

Martin Dvh wrote:
Hi all cx2388x owners.
I have modified the cx2388x video4linux driver to enable setting of a lot of registers by using insmod options
see:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/cx2388x/

I will be writing a few testscripts with the right (guessed) values for different kinds of raw modes.

At the moment I am most curious if the hacked driver will load and capture at all and what the effect of the signle insmod option cap_raw_all=1 will do.
Greetings,
Martin

Martin Dvh wrote:

address@hidden wrote:

I've got the Leadtek card; it has a CX23882 chip. I run 2.6 and am
mildly familar with the driver.. I think my patch was the first one to
fix the tuner (typo in the tuner defs) and added it to the card
database. I haven't touched it much since, though. They've got the wrong
decimation values for NTSC but I didn't have my TV books handy and they
didn't believe me. (The VBI data lines are _outside_ the viewable area;
that's why there's a separate capture unit for them. address@hidden)

I am writing a small driver patch right now which changes the normal GREY capture format into a RAW_ALL format (I hope)
Maybe you (and others) can try it to see what comes out.

greetings,
Martin