Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: mc4020 driver for 2.6 (1 of 3)

From: Ilia Mirkin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: mc4020 driver for 2.6 (1 of 3)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:42:41 -0500

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 10:25 -0800, Eric Blossom wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:08:38PM -0600, Meenal wrote:
> > Thanks Eric for the mc4020 patch. The fix works with mc4020 hardware.I
> > had to still tweak a little to get everything in order. I was unable to
> > find the mc4020 driver, on executing cat /proc/devices. I found out
> > that FC3 uses a new device loading system making use of /udev instead
> > of /dev.
> > A quick fix for loading mc4020 , I came up with is :
> > $ cd /dev/
> > $ cp -a mc4020*  /etc/udev/devices
> > $ chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/mc4020
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> I know nothing about udev. Is there some action that the driver can
> take to get the right thing to happen, or is it a config file thing or
> a combination of both?
>
> Is there some way that the driver is supposed to request a major
> number for use?  I just grabbed 127, but it seems a bit fragile.

Is this driver available online? I "ported" (read: made it compile) the
0.7 version over last summer, but my results left much to be desired.
The driver worked fine, but after I used it, various problems would
arise, such as gcc segfaulting, and other things pointing to memory
corruption of sorts. I took a glance at how it worked and it seemed to
be OK, but I didn't go into too much detail... I'd be happy to try this
version out.

---
Ilia Mirkin