Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot find sources...

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot find sources...
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:17:03 -0700

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 06:10:03PM -0700, Benjamin J. Tarval wrote:
> > Eric
>
> I'd be delighted to. I'll coordinate with you on the access permissions.
>
> The daily snapshots (or whenever the source changes) can be automated
> as well; the trick here is to make certain that it's done in a secure
> fashion.

I figured that the daily snapshot is for people who are not familiar
with CVS.  Most projects which issue snapshots make no guarantees
about anything, including whether or not they build.

> As far as the 1.1 name goes, that's fine. I was just using the same
> identifier that's on the project CVS page (IIRC). I wasn't away that
> the tree was dynamic, instead of frozen.

My strategy is to assume that the CVS repository is dynamic, and to
periodically declare "stable" versions that are tagged in the
repository and are believed to work well.  From those we'll generate
"official" releases, even if they are "works in progress" -- at a
minimum, they should build without errors on at least linux.

Once the new autoconf stuff is checked in, we should strive to not
check anything in that doesn't build cleanly.  I know that until we get
a chance to work through all the code, there is bit rot, and some of
the stuff doesn't build.  I figure we just comment it out of the
makefiles and keep pressing on.

I've successfully coordinated other development using CVS with
several developers, and as long as folks are in communication, CVS's
conflict resolution works pretty well.

Eric