Re: FSD as a Git repository

From: Lorenzo L. Ancora
Subject: Re: FSD as a Git repository
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 17:03:32 +0000

in short, the best javscript is 'none', and the best web browser
is 'none' - no need to re-invent the wheel - mediawiki already
supports it

Very zen. I would have written 'coded as optional dependencies' and 'the most up-to-date', but that's okay. ~~ Less is better. ~~

has the regrettable presumption, that a web browser is required
to read/write data to/from the internet, or to do so in an
"accessible" way

That's true, and the worst thing is the World Wide Web Consortium shares this latest regrettable presumption <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/>. Also, all those who adhere to the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) and did implement their accessibility solutions as web browser integrations are indeed nearsighted. I'm sure all impaired users will be so bold (and also helped by another individual with enough time/experience/competence) to install a dedicated application only to browse the Directory this way.

Also, I was wondering: isn't beautiful to gift everybody with the ability to cut down in half the required efforts to clone & DDOS the Directory?

Putting aside the sarcasm, my heretic tip is that, before enabling any API and thus extending the attack surface, it might be a good idea to set API usage limits and make sure the database can handle the extra API overhead (aKa making stress tests during a moment of low traffic). I see the MW API more as an administrative aid for when there is the sudden need to apply complex mass operations and not as something to keep enabled for long time, but as with many tools, potential is often overlooked.