dino-list

Re: [Dino-list] jack midi and alsaseq2jackmidi

From: Lars Luthman
Subject: Re: [Dino-list] jack midi and alsaseq2jackmidi
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:45:41 +0200

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 08:25 -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to use dino at home, but I'm having a problem.  on
> debian sid, jack comes at version 0.103.0, but does not have midi
> capabilities.  I cannot uninstall the package and build from source,
> because of debian's packaging system, it will uninstall everything
> that depends on it.
>
> In desperation I found and compiled alsaseq2jackmidi to act as a
> bridge until debian gets their act together on jack.  I start
> alsaseq2jackmidi, start dino, and yet none of my synths appear in
> dino.

JACK 0.103.0 definitely has MIDI, otherwise you wouldn't be able to
build Dino at all. What it may not have is a built in bridge to ALSA
MIDI. This is in the latest CVS version of JACK, although it still seems
to be a bit buggy - I gave up on using it and wrote my own patch to have
jackd access ALSA hardware MIDI ports instead. This doesn't help with
softsynths using ALSA sequencer ports though.

It is pretty easy to install JACK from source on a Debian system without
uninstalling all packages that depend on it. Just run

 configure --prefix=/usr

in the JACK source directory, then run 'make' and, as root, 'make
install'. Then go to /usr/lib and remove all files starting with
libjack-0.100.0, and finally create a symbolic link
from /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 to /usr/lib/libjack.so. The package
system will never know that you're using your own JACK version so it
won't try to uninstall any JACK clients, and everything will work unless
the libjack ABI breaks (which doesn't happen very often). You will have
to tell APT to hold back the jackd and libjack0.100.0-0 packages to
avoid having them updated automatically (overwriting your source
installation).

--ll