dfey-nw-discuss

Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Website - www.dfey.org

From: Mike Little
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Website - www.dfey.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:17:42 +0100

2009/7/28 Robert Leverington <address@hidden>:

> I don't think setting up a Wordpress instance is the biggest barrier at
> the moment, in fact at one point I was one click away from setting it up
> - but then someone whinged that I hadn't consulted the list on what the
> sitename was going to be (even though it could easily be changed at any
> point).

The biggest barrier seems to be the endless talking about it. The
problem with theorising about something is that it can go on forever.

Get a site up (and a wiki is not a site in this context), try it, then
constructive comments can be made on something concrete and changes
implemented instantly if needed, quickly if not.

> Once discussion started again on the list Tim made an excellent case for
> having an entirely static site, which I think we should still consider.

I do not believe there is any case for a static site with more than
two or three pages in preference over a WordPress based site, given
the technical competence of the group, and unless your are on
free/cheap hosting with no scripting or database.

> For a start it would be significantly easier to style ourselves given
> that there would not be a necessity to incorporate things like comments,
> and so on.

Completely untrue. If you can produce me a static XHTML page of the
design I can turn it into a WordPress template very simply.

I didn't even bother to mention some of the other advantages: if you
want to increase the community, you can offer an infinite number RSS
feeds,  subscriptions to the site, the ability to build the community
on the web (comments on the web are more open than a conversation on a
mailing list).

> While personally I do not have a significant personal preference, I
> think this is something we should definitely spend time discussing since
> it will be hard to turn around.  Making rash decisions based upon the
> time it takes to set up is counter productive.

It's not hard to turn around at all. I can make a static copy of a
WordPress site in minutes. (it's called wget).
WordPress also supports usable export of all it's data.

Anyway, my offer still stands.

Mike
--
Mike Little