dfey-nw-discuss

Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Encouraging new GNU/Linux users to use Debian rath

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Encouraging new GNU/Linux users to use Debian rather than Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:07:39 +0000

Richard Thompson wrote:
I think this would give us an interesting oppurtunity to introduce new
GNU/Linux users to Debian rather Ubuntu

What do people think?

At FOSDEM, I did get a chance to chat to Steve MacIntyre a little, the Debian Project Leader, though unfortunately I forgot to mention my idea to spur Debian on desktop growth.

Personally, I think the answer would be to spin a "Desktop" CD image similar to the Ubuntu install disk.

Since it's Debian, the image would complement, not replace the existing CD images and allow non-developers to easily get started with Debian GNU/Linux.

I must say, having hear a lot more about it and encountered a very, very friendly and welcoming community. I am considerably more inspired by the Debian project compared to Ubuntu.

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----