dfey-general-discuss

Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Remember *that* meeting?....

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Remember *that* meeting?....
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:57:10 +0100

On 03/08/10 10:50, Joe O'Dell wrote:
> [...]
> Describe (in short terms) the philosophy of FOSS, the fact it has nil cost,
> and that it is improved and repaired by the whole community?
>
> 2. Taking Baby Steps
> Here should be ideas of the first things a school should use if it were going
> to change over to FOSS - things like OpenOffice.org, Moodle, Firefox,
> Audacity and Inkscape.
>
> Do a "Popular Misconceptions" section like "Oh, it's open source so I can't
> lock it down - FALSE: Many applications that are open source can be locked
> down, and some made even more secure than proprietary alternatives"
> Perhaps it would be worth getting some of us to ask IT
> Teachers/Lecturers/Technicians what their main fears/thoughts about using
> FOSS are? I can ask mine when we get back in september.
>
> Also talk about the open education disc?
>
> 3. Complete Overhaul/Starting Afresh
> Explain that if they are thinking of a complete overhaul, or if they are just
> venturing into IT Solutions, that Linux and FOSS alternatives are a key
> player.
> Expand on the cost aspects, the compatability, the fact there are not
> viruses, that it can be locked down heavily (sometimes even more secure than
> MS), and the fact that it is much more resource-friendly.
>
> Give options such as Ubuntu (Edubuntu for Primary schools) for desktops, Easy
> Peasy for laptops (based on ubuntu), SmoothWall for proxy filtering, Ubuntu
> Server/CentOS as an alternative to WIndows Server.
>
> 4. Providing Resources
> I am thinking that it would be worth including CDs/DVDs of Ubuntu, Ubuntu
> Server, SmoothWall, the OpenEducationDisc and perhaps another distribution
> (fedora? I can get a fair amount of fedora dvds direct from fedora if you
> want them). These could then go into plastic wallets at the back?
>
> The only reason I am thinking this is because we are only going to send them
> to schools/LEAs - not hand them out in public - and as such if we can ply
> them with as much FOSS stuff as possible, they have a higher rate of using it.
>
> Also include links to DFEY, Ubuntu etc. etc. - please add them if you want to
> see them here!
>
> So that's my idea at the moment - the only thing I will request is an EPS of
> the DFEY logo - as we discussed at the hackspace, FOSS DTP software is far
> from brilliant, and as I have a Quark license, I am happy to build it on that.
>
> Finally, there is the printing (and postage) charges for all of this -
> Outsourcing printing is the only reasonable option, as in-house printing on
> an A4 inkjet is going to look terrible. The only problem being paying for it.
> However, there is O2 ThinkBig that can provide up to £2000 for projects -
> this fits into their "Learning" category - as well as providing mobile
> credit, a laptop and internet etc. etc.. If we could tap into that, it could
> pay for a print run of the booklets, plus postage, plus media.
>
> Please, give me as many ideas as you can - I am definitely all ears.

Sounds good to me,  can the dclug Jump in on this one,  as we are
looking at doing something similar,  so i have no problem burning copies
of the opencd for use locally (torbay)

As I am working to promote dfey in the south west then any resources
would be useful,

some useful links

http://theingots.org/
on a related (savings) note
http://theingots.org/community/ITQdevelopment sounds excellent 4 figure
sums of savings,

Perhaps they would be interestred in helping or even sponsoring, esp if
you can give them some space to write articles etc

Paul.

--
Next Paignton meeting - Saturday 7th August 2010 - 3pm Lighthouse, Paignton,
Next Holsworthy Meeting -  Saturday 21st August @ The White Hart,

Thursday 22nd Tea Party 2pm - 5pm
Saturday 31st Salsa Night 8pm - 12:30
please e-mail address@hidden for more details.

SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2010
SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2010  - LIGHTHOUSE, PAIGNTON