[Denemo-devel] [bug #47327] Continue previous work of keysig dialog mode

From: S
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #47327] Continue previous work of keysig dialog modes
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 17:41:19 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, bug #47327 (project denemo):

Thanks for continuing this discussion.  This being the first time I have
examined code contributed from multiple languages I apologize for mistakes in
understanding what language does what and how they communicate.

I believe we are on the same page when I described:  "If you change the key
sig in the middle of your project – Denemo adds accidentals to preserve
consistency in the written notes"

Whether you sharpen or flatten the key signature with the dialog or the red
and green push controls, my observation has been the same net result:  An
example may make it clear:
1. I set my Key to D major
2. I proceed to fill a staff with music
3. I change the key to C major or A minor.
4. I notice that any F or C is now accompanied by a sharp accidental.  Great,
musically/the audio component is consistent.*(see below)
5. Untested at present - but I would presume that if you have deliberately
entered an F natural, then it would show up as a plain F in your new key
signature, but because of this, I would think that this may increase the
complexity of an "ignore script"  i.e. what you describe as the job of a
"simple script that would go through the subsequent notes altering them".

Perhaps the biggest confusion I currently have is: I don't know if this script
would be part of the source code or treated more like a plugin.  If integrated
with the program, then I would predict that it's activation could likely be
tied to a simple checkbox as proposed.

*Since I am seeing a consistent result (step 4) as a result of applying step 3
(even though for me, this is only desirable in 1 of my 2 use scenarios) I am
not sure what you mean by 'fix the horrible way that the current dialog
switches the key when you switch from major to minor."

In my experience with key signatures the push selection and the dialog seem to
have the same result (and they communicate well together).  Nothing horrible
about that...

Personally, I prefer to work with the dialog because it can drop a change in
the middle of your piece - a very necessary feature in concert band music.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47327>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/