Re: [Denemo-devel] Instrument templates (was Re: Playback View: an impor

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Instrument templates (was Re: Playback View: an important advance for Denemo)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:14:09 +0000

On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 23:33 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> I will have to create a template for each case.

Is that to say each percussion instrument would have its own staff?
There are some notes in the LilyPond docs about different instruments
sharing the same staff. Extra overrides are needed.

>  I think their was a script to convert bass clef to a basic drum
> notation. I should look for that.
I quoted you the relevant bit of that script in a previous email (it's
in the ClefChooser)
here it is again with comments after each line

(d-InitialClef "Bass")
;;sets bass clef, which means the middle line is a D
(d-DirectivePut-clef-override "DrumClef" (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC
DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
;;; overrides the how the clef is drawn in Denemo and in LilyPond
(d-DirectivePut-clef-postfix "DrumClef" "\\clef percussion\n ")
;;;changes the LilyPond syntax emitted, otherwise it would be \clef bass
(d-DirectivePut-clef-graphic "DrumClef" "DrumClef")
;;;changes the clef drawn in the display
(d-StaffProperties "midi_channel=9")
;;;sets the MIDI channel for this staff - only used by Denemo's MIDI generator
(d-DirectivePut-voice-display "DrumClef" (_ "Drum Clef"))
;;;not sure if this is relevant since the introduction of the Voice and Staff
editor
(d-DirectivePut-voice-override "DrumClef" DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC)
;;;not sure if this is relevant since the introduction of the Voice and Staff
editor
(d-DirectivePut-voice-prefix "DrumClef" "\\new Voice \\with { middleCPosition =
#6 }")
;;;gives the LilyPond to emit for the voice.

> What If I scripted some buttons to correspond to the various drums.
You could create a palette of them

>  Could they show an svg of the drum?
Do you mean the button has an icon which people will recognize as the
type of drum? Yes, you just make the label something like high-hat.svg
and provided the file exists it will be used as the icon. There are
examples in the articulation palette. I'm not sure it is worth all the
work, though. Just use the text High Hat.

> then they would enter in rhythmic values to fill the bar. The svg
> buttons move the cursor to the different notes.

I would guess the script for the button would be to move to the correct
line and insert the prevailing duration with the LilyPond overwritten to
output stuff like "hh" instead of note name if you are going to emit
\chordmode {

HTH