Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI instrument selection

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI instrument selection
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:17:38 +0000

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 11:08 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> GM list would probably accommodate most people. There will be still
> some people who will want to use soundfonts the only contain custom
> sounds. I thought it would be a convience for them to look up their
> soundfont pathes/samples via instrument name.

Yes, it certainly would be good for that. Unfortunately sffile is not
doing this for us. I can't honestly figure out quite what it is doing,
but unless it is just my machine (and some windows boxes I tested) it
simply isn't helping right now.
The number of presets it returns is the number in all banks of the sound
font, but we have no code to do bank select.

I've just dug back into git and found that at one time we had a fancy
pattern-matching algorithm installed that took a guess at the name and
emitted the best match (assuming GM). Shall I revert to that - assuming
we don't have time to debug sffile... Or would people prefer to enter a
MIDI program number?