Re: [Denemo-devel] scheme-gtk discussion

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] scheme-gtk discussion
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 10:05:59 +0100

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 07:48 +0000, Ralf Mattes wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2011 10:06:50 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
>
> > I think perhaps the first step would be to change the GtkDrawingArea
> > widget with the similar widget that allows widgets to be placed in the
> > drawing area. I put a TODO note about this on the website, but now
> > cannot find it, and I cannot find the name of the widget in the gtk docs
> > :(
>
> Hmm - are you refering to gtk-canvas (port of gnome canvas)?
Well, no, it was literally what I wrote - another gtk widget, that acted
like a GtkDrawingArea but could have buttons etc as children, placed on
the drawing area. It was there in the documentation with the comment
that it would be slower. I use the online documentation, so it if it has
really vanished perhaps it was just in some development and got
dropped... But I thought I emailed about it and wrote a proposal on
denemo.org

>  Link would be
>
>  http://freshmeat.net/projects/gtkcanvas/
>
> There's also a canvas overview at:
>
>  http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley/CanvasOverview

That looks pretty extensive stuff - Nils and Dan Wilckens have both
suggested we adopt a completely new drawing approach, but no-one is
available to take it on.
It is really great to get some knowledgeable feedback - thanks!

Richard