Re: [Denemo-devel] scheme-gtk discussion

From: R. Mattes
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] scheme-gtk discussion
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:41:02 +0200

On Mon, 09 May 2011 10:05:59 +0100, Richard Shann wrote

> > Hmm - are you refering to gtk-canvas (port of gnome canvas)?
> Well, no, it was literally what I wrote - another gtk widget, that acted
> like a GtkDrawingArea but could have buttons etc as children, placed
> on the drawing area.

Yes, you are describing gtk-canvas: a gtk based drawing area widget that can
embed other gtk widgets. Pretty much a gtk-only clone of the gnome canvas widget
which itself is a (bad!) clone of the TCL canvas widget (which you probably
know :-)

> It was there in the documentation with the comment
> that it would be slower. I use the online documentation, so it if it
> has really vanished perhaps it was just in some development and got
> dropped... But I thought I emailed about it and wrote a proposal on denemo.org

Unfortunately gtk-canvas is dead. It was never integrated into gtk core.
A promissing successor: GooCanvas (http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas) - a similar
gtk widget that can incorporate other gtk widgets
(see: http://developer.gnome.org/goocanvas/unstable/GooCanvasWidget.html)

> That looks pretty extensive stuff - Nils and Dan Wilckens have both
> suggested we adopt a completely new drawing approach, but no-one is
> available to take it on.

Any pointer to the discussion? Not that I would have time to reimplement the
drawing
engine but I'd like to read about the problems you seen with the current
approach.

Cheers, RalfD