Re: [Denemo-devel] Portaudio

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Portaudio
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:40:08 +0000

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 22:54 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> Is it right that Portaudio is only for microfon support?
No. It is used for creating the sounds that play as you enter notes
(unless you choose to use a /dev/sequencer for this, OR?? jack midi??)
and it is used for the sound effects that play when you enter rhythms.
It *is* also used for capturing pitches (microphone-in) via the aubio
library.
> Could you create a configure option to disable it?
Higher priority would be an option to disable/enable aubio. This is only
used for recognizing notes, and so for note entry via microphone (&
tuning instruments). There is a little bit of work involved in this.

> Will it be replaced by a generic JACK-in some day?
I don't yet really understand what JACK-in is. What we have at the
moment in Denemo (I think) is jack-midi in, which would not perform the
same functions. I say, "I think" because it is not yet in my Debian
distribution, so I have not yet had a chance to try it.