Re: [Denemo-devel] Release

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Release
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:05:15 -0500

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 17:41 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > Yes. The user could download the .deb and install it easily. Once I
> > figure out how I would like to turn a directory into a repository so
> > that debian or ubuntu users would get updates automagically from their
> > package manager.
> I think the .debs will make a big impact on take-up of Denemo. The
> automagic update I would not encourage yet - it can be upsetting if the
> behaviour of a program you are using changes without warning, and we
> haven't got a test infrastructure active: we need feedback on new
> releases.

I looked into creating .debs for ubuntu. The process is extremely easy
with this utility called checkinstall. I simply run:
./configure
make
checkinstall

It then installs it and creates a binary .deb for you. This way it can
be easily installed/removed.  For the distributed .deb should we have
the prefix=/usr so denemo gets installed in /usr/bin/ instead
of /usr/local/bin? I thought /usr/bin because users could install cvs
then in /usr/local/bin. Usually though /usr/local is for non-distro
packages. So then should the prefix be /usr/local? What do you guys
think. I am ready to upload an ubuntu .deb's.