[Denemo-devel] A big "hello" to the list.

From: N. Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] A big "hello" to the list.
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:46:15 +0200

Hello Denemolist,

I'm still in search for my notation-editor of choice. Denemo is my favourite programm, but It lacks some things. Since I read this list for quite a while and have made some trivial postings I want to participate more in testing and exploring Denemo.

A few words about my person and who I am and for what I want to use Denemo. My Name is Nils Gey (as in "Guy"), I am living in Cologne, Germany and I study music @ "Hochschule für Musik Köln" (University of Music). When I'm done I will be a musician but also capable of teaching music in schools at a high level.

I'm mainly a singer (classical) and piano player but I like composing more. For example for my band "Wargsang" (http://www.wargsang.de only in German). We play on bagpipes and this stuff but making fast and progressive music for the heart and the brain.
Little example (produced in linux/ardour)

http://www.wargsang.de/media/mp3/lmmdh/%5B2008%5DWargsang.de_-_Alles_nai_macht_der_Mai_complete.mp3

Additionally I want to compose soundtracks for video games. Since I am a classical musician I work and think in western staff notation. I don't like piano-rolls and tracker so I need other programms than rosegarden or all these windows programms like cubase because they are lacking a good way of dealing with staff notation (rosegarden is a bad excuse for staff notation)

My main tasks are:

1)Composing full scores as well as making quick notes for various real ensembles and in school.

For that I need a programm which is capable of letting me easily type notes, edit and rearrange them like a texteditor or open office writes does with text (but not WYSIWYG). I know many people who compose and write notes on papersheets until the piece is "done" and then simply want a nice printout. So they just need to retype their piece on their computer. I think for those people is Finale and other WYSIWYG programms. Personally I think these programms are still for newbie in computerterms.

I write faster on a pc-keyboard than with my hand I write notes faster on my pc, too. So I don't wan't this paper-step for composing and arranging but I need a way of typing fast from my head to screen without a midikeyboard and have control over what I've done. Deleting, Copy&Paste, marking, moving and shifting single or group of notes and so on.

For that I only need simple playback and it doesn't matter how the notes look on my screen. When It comes to printout there is not much to say. I like lilypond and like Denemo's philosophy mainly to generate lilypond output instead of inventing the wheel anew.

Also my musicians want to get a playback file, for hearing. So its great Denemo is avaible for all three main OS.

2)Composing for video games or any other medium where the computer plays the instruments.

For me its the same as composing for humans but I need some sampler wich plays. Since thats already done in Linux its good and no need to talk about that here. But I'm using the same "oldschool" method of composing, with staff notation and without much use of midihardware, to compose soundtracks

Perfect for this would be a DAW (like Ardour, Logic...) which is capable of recording and editing audio (like they all do) and displaying and editing midi in staff notation like Denemo does. Just not a piano roll but a 5-line systems "per track" where you can import midi or just write with your pc-keyboard or midikeyboard. But there is not one(!) programm in the world which is capable of doing that. So in windowsworld you are done and have to live with it or make things like rendering all your miditracks to audio and synchronise them in your DAW. Luckily there is some thing like JACK transport in Linux.

So, thats me. I want to try to get away from my windows/wine "noteworthycomposer" now and do my regular work in denemo, so that I can tell you what would be cool to have or to speed up the composing-process. I will write a second Mail soon after this one where I want to ask and comment a few things about denemo.

Greetings,

Nils