[Denemo-devel] Questions and Comments on Denemo

From: N. Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Questions and Comments on Denemo
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:33:51 +0200

Hello list,

I want to tell you my thougts about denemo and give feedback about what is done. I personally see Denemo as candidate for the best Linux notation programm (from my point of view). I like the approach to concentrate on lilypond for pdf/paper output.

There are a few things I would like to comment, mostly editing. I'm sure most of them are already known, but I will write them anyway :)

-ALSA and JACK.
I'm sure there are plans to add a ALSA/JACK midi client to denemo. Is there any roadmap or plan?

-Tempo and Tempochanges
A Tempochange (in metronome scale) and some Terms like "allegro" which resembles some fixed speeds and the possibility to add own tempo-terms like "allegro". Additionally Accelarando and Ritardando, maybe to the next set tempochange in some curve maybe swichtable and possible to add own functions (linear, logarythmic etc. )
All these should be playbacked in midioutput.
Also I miss a durationdisplay that you can see how long your piece is and where you are right now. Could show the bar number and other things, too.

-Delete and Backspace Behaviour
Behaviour of these is just perfect, like in any texteditor. But if there are barlines in between its not possible. In my opinion these should be possible, too. Also the barlines are not deletable. See next point:

-Barlines
Barlines, as I see it, are not the same Items like a note, a rest, clef- or keychange. Is there are reason for this? In other words: Is it possible to switch off the auto-barline feature and set them by hand as just another item. Maybe additionally a script like "generate barlines now" which is reversable by crtl+z. By handling barlines as items its also easy to add additional barlines right in the middle of another bar (like a double or part-end bar)

-Mark, Copy and Paste
There are some menuentries for that, but it doesn't seem to work. maybe its just vip. Anyway: Copy and Paste should be working. I would suggest a texteditor behaviour: With Shift or pressed mousekey you can mark notes, rests and any items (barlines, too :) ) and then just, copy, cut, delete or over-paste them. Maybe Crtl+Shift or some combo allows it to mark a complete bar like now crtl+left jumps from bar to bar. It should be also possible to mark in several staffs at once, so you can c&p whole parts of your piece. What is the format of the copied items? Will it be possible to paste them into a texteditor to have a certain piece read to paste it again in later?

-Shifting Notes
If Notes are marked it could be possible to shift them up and down all together, with some keycombination and the arrow-keys. Rests and other marked items should be ignored in this process.

-Augmentation, Diminuation
If notes are marked it is also possible to augment oder diminuate (double or half the size) all sizable items (notes and rests) easily.

-Bookmarks
I like the idea of bookmarks. Is it possible to show them as text-item in the (top-)staff and give them a custom name? So you could name them like "Verse 1" or "Refrain" and even print them out.

-Slurs?
They are completly missing?

-Additionally Midievents
Set midihandling like dynamics, modulation and all these stuff for enhanced playback possibilitys.

Finally a question: What 2D-lib is used for rendering notes inside Denemo?

I think some of this is already implented and I hope I could give some good ideas to the denemo-devs.

Greetings,

Nils