ddd

Re: DDD

From: Fred Krogh
Subject: Re: DDD
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:11:30 -0700

On 03/26/2015 03:36 PM, Michael Eager wrote:
On 03/13/15 09:07, Fred Krogh wrote:
I thought I might be able to help a little by giving this a try. But I may not have adequate
knowledge to be useful.  After

svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/ddd/branches/gddd

I have a nice gddd directory. I'm a little fuzzy on what the next step should be. I tried

autoconf

and got this

configure.ac:59: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
       See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:154: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_WARN
configure.ac:191: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LEX
configure.ac:265: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.ac:488: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL

Then tried automake and got

configure.ac: error: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.ac: You should verify that configure.ac invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.ac: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.ac: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal)
configure.ac:53: error: required file './config.guess' not found
+ many more complaints

If you want to do some hand holding to get me further along, I will do some checking of gddd, It's quite understandable if you feel your time is better spent elsewhere. I am on an Gentoo system,
with autoconf-2.69.

Autotools are version sensitive.  You are probably using
a version of autoconf or automake which is different from
that used previously.

Evidently my autoconf or automake has been updated. Now using autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.15. Now autoconf, automake, and .configure seem to work. But "make" gets some errors. Perhaps these are easy to fix??
All looked o.k. until just below the first line below.

rm -rf $backupdir; exit $rc
ddd.texi:1: misplaced {
ddd.texi:1: misplaced }
ddd.texi:157: @sp arg must be numeric, not `-7'
Makefile:2448: recipe for target 'ddd.info' failed
make[2]: *** [ddd.info] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/m/gddd/ddd'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/m/gddd/ddd'
Makefile:612: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I'm not all that familiar with .texi files, or perhaps here too, there is some problem with the version of tex I'm using. If I run makeinfo on this file I get the same errors. My current version of makeinfo is 5.2.

I tried changing the {} on line 1 to (), and the -7 to 0, but then the same errors popped up in ddd-themes.texi. Since I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm giving up for now.