[Dazuko-devel] Symlink reporting

From: Sami Tikka
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Symlink reporting
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:05:39 +0200

Hi!

It seems that dazuko 2.0.5-pre5 reports access to symlinks as access to the real file on both Linux 2.4 and 2.6. (I have not tested other platforms.) At least this is the case if both symlink and the real file are in the included directory.

Our application (file integrity checker) needs to know both the symlink and the real file in case the file is accessed thru a symlink. (It needs to check that the symlink points to the correct file and that the file contents match the checksum.)

I would propose that dazuko would always report the symlink access to the daemon. The daemon can see that the file is a symlink and readlink() to find out the real file.

On Linux 2.6 I guess the way to go is to set up an inode_follow_link callback and report the symlink access from there. Unfortunately, when the inode_permission callback is called, there is no way to know if inode_follow_link was called previously. This means that on Linux 2.6 the dazuko driver would report file accesses thru symlink twice: first the access to the symlink and then the access to the real file.

We already have an implementation of this. Should I post the patch or does someone feel there is another, better way to implement this?

--
Sami Tikka                          tel: +358 9 2520 5115
Senior Software Engineer            fax: +358 9 2520 5013