Re: btrfs implementation status of GNU tools df & du

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: btrfs implementation status of GNU tools df & du
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:58:46 +0200

On 04/24/2017 09:30 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> currently we are evaluating btrfs usage in our upcoming Linux Release
> (SLES12 based).
>
> It seems that the commonly known GNU standard tools "df" and "du" are not
> fully supporting the btrfs filesystem.
> The underlying kernel requests used by these tools are getting
> incomplete/wrong information about filesystem/metadata usage, furthermore
> the quota feature isn't recongized/displayed at all.
>
> Is development regarding btrfs still ongoing?
>
> kind regards
> Mathias

Hi Mathias,

I don't think there is active work on this.
Additionally to the issues you mentioned above, stat() returns device IDs
for BTRFS subvolumes and BTRFS snapshots which are different from the parent
BTRFS mount point; e.g. also 'find -fstype btrfs' chokes on this [1].

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50859

Therefore, I'm still using EXT4 and XFS on my SLES12 systems.

Have a nice day,
Berny