consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] RIP Aaron Swartz -- It all started with a paper jam.

From: Hugo Roy
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] RIP Aaron Swartz -- It all started with a paper jam.
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:53:06 +0100

Thanks for sharing hellekin. I did not know the author, but I have read
and appreciated many of his writings on the web. I couldn't help but
sympathise with him regarding the JSTOR issues (although it's still
unclear to me what he actually did, if he merely wrote a script and
downloaded academic articles, of if he actually put them out there.)
Anyway, this is sad.

I couldn't agree more with his conclusion:
        Some great strides have been made in building peer-to-peer
        software, in no small part because of the vast amount of
        interest in using the technology to share music without getting
        caught by enforcers of the law. But, especially compared to Web
        2.0 server technology, peer-to-peer is still in its infancy.
        Writing a social application so that it’s peer-to-peer is about
        a thousand times harder than writing the same program as a web
        app.

        Still, peer-to-peer software, if we could make it work, would
        seem to give the best of both worlds: the freedom to modify how
        a program functions on our local computers as well as the
        ability to share and collaborate with others across the
        Internet. And so, for those who care about freedom (as well as
        those who care about sharing music), this seems like an
        important avenue for further research.
--
Hugo Roy
  FSFE Legal Team Deputy Coordinator