consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] A GNU Consensus for the GNU Year!

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] A GNU Consensus for the GNU Year!
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 07:58:57 +0100

On 01/08/2013 03:12 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>           Anonymity
>
>           With interoperating free software social networking systems, no
>           user will be compelled to provide any particular kind of
>           information, whether it be her name, her age, or what country
>           she lives in. It will be up to those she communicates with to
>           judge what information she chooses to provide or withhold.
>
> That's the meaning of anonymity as I understand it.
> So I don't see any reason to change this.
>
>     Christian proposes ``Right to Pseudonymity''
>
> "Pseudonymity" is not an everyday word.  I am not convinced
> this distinction is important, and I'd rather not make the text
> harder to read.

Just checking google fight on this (how common is either word):

anonymity - 2.4 million results
pseudonym - 1.4 million results
pseudonymity - 16 thousand results

On 'wordcount.org', anonymity ranks 16393, pseudonym at 31330,
pseudonymity is not in the list.

So yes, "pseudonymity" is rarely used, but "pseudonym" is still quite
common.  Clearly this is a trade-off between using simple language and
using precise language.

Your call.

-Christian