classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Still struggling with build

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Still struggling with build
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:11:00 +0100

<address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Chris for help pointing me to the supporting libraries for
javamail, but still having problems building the mail 1.0 version with
activation 1.0 and inetlib 1.0 or above.

Can't get a set of libraries which are consistent with each other to
begin with. Want to start with at least a set of libraries which compile
together, even if I need to fix things. Even better, some libraries
which have been tested together.

The current release version numbers are

  inetlib-1.1.1
  activation-1.1
  mail-1.1.1

Basic problem, can't build under sun's java 1.4 since Sasl missing.

Sun provides, or at least used to provide, a jar file as a separate download containing the SASL API classes. inetlib was tested with these, with the SASL classes provided by the GNU-Crypto project, and with Classpath.

Can't build under sun's java 5.0 since Sasl inconsistent with method
calls made by inetlib.

I wasn't aware of such inconsistencies - did you file a report? If so it means they've changed the SASL API inconsistently between versions, we may have to raise it with the Classpath team.

Sun's java 1.5/5.0 and up don't run on any of my platforms (write once, run on any of 3 platforms!) so I can't test with those runtimes.

What's the magic formula for getting these libraries to run under sun's
java? Is it impossible? Otherwise is it documented anywhere?

If you want to do this, I recommend you build and install Classpath separately with e.g. --prefix=/gnu , and then configure inetlib with --with-sasl=/gnu/share/classpath/glibj.zip

You should then be able to run with Sun's JRE 1.4 and glibj.zip in the classpath.

BUILD ATTEMPT: java 5.0 build with mail 1.0 activation 1.0 inetlib 1.0

The method createSaslClient(String[], String, String, String,
Map<String,?>, CallbackHandler) in the type Sasl is not applicable for
the arguments (String[], null, String, String, Properties,
CallbackHandler) IMAPConnection.java gnu-inetlib/source/gnu/inet/imap
line 561 30 August 2005 13:16:51

I see. Sun have "evolved" the SASL API in 1.5 in a backwardly incompatible fashion. Note that GNU Classpath/ClasspathX don't currently require or use generics, and you cannot currently use any free Java compiler to compile such code.
--
Chris Burdess