RE: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Moving system properties to gnu.classpath.*
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:43:04 +0200

Michael Koch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2004 10:26 schrieb Jeroen Frijters:
> > I would like to propose to move the system properties to a public
> > class in the gnu.classpath package. This removes the need to use
> > GetPropertyAction to access the properties and -- more importantly
> > to me -- it also greatly simplifies class initialization
> > dependencies (currently, every class that requires access to the
> > system properties sucks in a huge dependency (java.lang.System,
> > SecurityManager and who knows what else).
> >
> > The obvious downside is that we'd really need to get serious about
> > preventing untrusted code access to the gnu.classpath.* package.
> >
> > Any thoughts, comments or objections?
>
> I'm all for simplifying and generalizing code but how do you want to
> implement this in a secure way ?

I'm not sure yet. I think it would require VM support to make the
gnu.classpath package special (e.g. in that it can only be accessed by
code loaded by the bootstrap class loader).

> Any working code written for it yet ?

Not yet, I wanted to know how others feel about it before spending too
much time on it. If there isn't too much opposition I'll prototype it to
see how it works.

Regards,
Jeroen