I love it when a plan comes together (GCJ, Eclipse and Gnome!)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: I love it when a plan comes together (GCJ, Eclipse and Gnome!)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:49:34 +0100

Hi all,

After finally getting the latest Eclipse 3.0 M4 working with gij
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-11/msg00024.html>
I tried to get the java-gnome bindings
<http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/>
and the eclipse java-gnome plugin wizard
<http://zeta.zizworks.com/public/projects/java-gnome.do>
all working together.

I was pleasantly surprized that the latest 0.8 java-gnome bindings are
already packeged for Debian:

libglade0-java - Java support for libglade gnome interface
libgnome0-java - Java framework for creating GNOME applications
libgnome0-jni - Java framework for creating GNOME applications
libgtk0-java - Gtk framework for Java
libgtk0-jni - GTK framework for Java

After installing these, and unzipping the plugin in my fresh eclipse
install directory everything worked out of the box!
<http://www.klomp.org:klomp.org/mark/classpath/eclipse-gnome-gij.png>
(Almost, you do have to get gij with eclipse working as described in the
email referenced above, which is a bit of a pain currently. And the
libraries that the java-gnome plugin wizard wants are in /usr/lib/jni
and /usr/share/java on a Debian system.)

Now that we have a completely free java-like toolchain and IDE for
creating Gnome applications, nothing stands in the way of world
domination! Muhawaha!

When we have accomplished world domination I will retire and finally
resume work on the Hunting of the Snark project ;-)
<http://klomp.org/snark/snark-gnome.html>
(Note, that is an experimental frontend using the old java-gnome
bindings, will try the new version soon.)

Thanks Gnome hackers, Thanks Eclipse hackers, Thanks Classpath hackers,
Thanks Debian hackers, Thanks Java-Gnome hackers, Thanks GCJ hackers,
Thank GNU!

Mark